Saturday, January 13, 2007

Weak in the knees after Restaurant Week!

On Thursday, Kathryn, her friend Katie, and I got to enjoy a real treat! It's called San Diego Restaurant Week, and its this really neat deal where a bunch of the nicer restaurants throughout San Diego offer a limited selection of 3-course dinners for a fixed, reduced price.

2007-01-11 RestaurantWeek (1)

Ever the erstwhile frugal foodies, Katie, Kat and I went to Jakes in Del Mar. This is a favorite for Kat and I for happy hour, because it is RIGHT on the shore in Del Mar, and is an absolutely GORGEOUS place to watch the sunset.

Our dinner was late - 8:45 - So we had the entire day to anticipate and salivate! The restaurant was still nice and lively when we arrived and got our table. Katie and Kat, ever the inquisitive scientists, had researched the menu ahead of time and confidantly ordered the calamari appetizer, grilled mahi entree, and famous hula pie for desert. I opted for crab cakes, 16 oz ribeye, and some of the enormous hula pie, too!

2007-01-11 RestaurantWeek

The appetizers were excellent. Generous, plump calamari, and a large, rich crab cake with a wonderful hollandaise-ish sauce. Their mahi was quite good, and though I really liked the Rosemary Garlic spread for my giganto steak, the cut was a bit fatty, even for my well-marbled preferences, and so I was a little bit let down... I guess you should know better than to order steak at a place that is 20 feet from the Pacific Ocean... Save that for Nebraska or something.

All in all, a real treat, and I am VERY glad that I have finally been able to go to Restaurant Week!

3 comments:

Jen said...

How is it that Brent managed the exact same face twice in a row while Katie and Kat adjusted their expressions--smile to mock serious? That's talent.

Brent said...

Yes... Very curious. That's actually the wax sculpture I had commissioned for the occasion... After all, SOMEBODY had to take the picture... Duh! *grin* - B-

Jen said...

Ahh. See, there's smart thinking. Always got to be prepared!