Saturday, January 06, 2007

The Secret of Happyness

Last night, Kathyrn and I went over to our neighborhood theatre to see Will Smith's movie, "The Pursuit of Happyness." Beyond the fact that we got there a bit later than we should have so we had to wait in a long outdoor line in sub-60 degree conditions (BRR) and then go into a dark theatre and sit near the front, where we discovered that some kind soul had left gum on the back of Kat's seat, it was a really nice time.

Maybe to really appreciate the film, which is about a down-on-his-luck single father who is very Arthur Millerianly slaving away as a Bone Density Salesman while competing for a selective, unpaid stock brokering internship at Dean Witter, you have to overcome at LEAST a little adversity...

In any case, in many ways, I really loved the film. It is a wonderful "Father-son" performance from the Smith's, and portrays a great message to those who have much about the need to be more generous, and in the case of the bumbling stock brokers, to actually get a clue that life is not always rosy for everyone.

But as Kat and I were "debriefing" the movie afterwards, we realized that something was bothering us. Smith's character, Chris Gardner, overcomes tremendous adversity and does so, while not perfectly, with great nobility and resourcefulness. He has this great reservoir of fortitude which we learn is the dream of... MONEY... lots of it! The driving force for him to achieve happyness (sic) is financial stability. The only mention of God or faith is at a homeless mission where Chris holds his sleeping son close while an assortment of winos and hobos "foolishly" pray and sway.

So this, we realized in discussion, is what bothers us. Great story, amazing performances, and a heartwarming ending (I hope I haven't given away too much), but the lasting message is, "Pursue your dreams with your all your strength, and someday you will have the only thing that matters... financial success."

As a Christian, this is a message that I regard as a "Fool's Promise." More so, as someone who has faced adversity, though not on the level of Smith's Chris Gardner, I reflect on what a source of strength my faith has been... How sad to see a character presented as so Christ-like in his actions, yet totally neglecting the power of Christ to sustain in times of trouble.

It reminds me of the lyrics of a favorite worship song:

You Are My All In All - Dennis Jernigan

You are my strength when I am weak
You are the treasure that I seek
You are my all in all

Seeking You as a precious jewel
Lord to give up I'd be a fool
You are my all in all

Jesus Lamb of God worthy is your name
Jesus Lamb of God worthy is your name

Epilogue: Great movie, great story, but as is so oftern the case, the message can't be just "swallowed" without some further processing... - B-

2 comments:

Micah said...

When you confront the American Dream you confront a lot of idolatry. Too bad more churches in America can't figure out that this happy theme and Christ-centered living may indeed not mix. Of course, Joel Osteen may tell you otherwise.

Jen said...

Ah, my old friend idolatry. It's always the same story, isn't it? From Eden to America, the problem for every individual and every economy is always false worship.