Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Just a little Dinn -E.R. with friends

So Opal is thinking... Routine dinner with the Aplegates, right?

2006-11-21 Scripps ER (2)

Silly Opal!

Well, first, you are wondering, "Who is Opal?" Kathryn, being the incredibly friendly gal that she is, made friends with Opal, one of our neighbors in the condo complex. Opal is an incredibly fit and spry gal who I hope won't mind me revealing that she is 88. She is super-sharp, which comes in handy for our story here.

I had come home and helped Kat a little with dinner prep until I got to be too much of a nuissance in the kitchen and went out for a quick run. When I was leaving kat was just getting started cutting up a rather stubborn acorn squash with the biggest cleaver in our knife rack...

When I came back from the run, Opal was tending to Kat who's wrist was covered in a protective bandage. Turns out, just after I left, the squash slid out and she cut her wrist, though thankfully just superficially. Kat had called Opal who came over to tend to things.

I took a look at the wound, and with all my years of experience of occasional E.R. watching, decided she needed stitches. So we paused dinner and headed over to the nearby Urgent Care center where Dr. Chris (above) was so good to stitch her up. Though it took a couple of hours, the people there were really cool and fun, so it wasn't too much of a drag. We came home, picked up the cooking where we left off, and had a really nice Salmon dinner, albeit sans Opal, at about 9...

Hopefully, the cullinary drama is out of our systems before Thanksgiving. I'll provide a full report in the next edition. *Grin*

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

definitely good that she got that our of her system before Thursday!! have fun!