Wednesday, November 08, 2006

The Camera Falters...

Brent says: So, Kat and I haven't been doing too much that is "Photo-worthy" as of late, which is usually my criteria for when we ought to be posting on the blog. But, things were starting to seem a bit stale on brentkatcali, so I am going to provide a special "Mid-Week Update" edition. Here goes:

What we've been doing that we are not taking pictures? Brent has been working on a publishing project for church to create a Missions Booklet of the missionaries our church supports. Sunday is a special day at our church, focused all on missions, and so I've been working really hard to get it done before then. PS- I just finished it today, so I feel quite relieved! Kat has been working on the costumes for our church's Christmas production and helping some of her girlfriends plan a shower.

What are we watching? No TV. Its always awkward when people ask us about shows, cause we are SOOOOO out of touch. One of Kat's friends, Kat, and I have started into the first couple hours of six in the PBS version of Pride and Prejudice. It rocks!

What are we reading? Kat is into "The Language of God" by Francis Collins, which is a really top-notch Science and Religion book by a Nobel-laureaute scientist, and written for a layperson reader. I've been slowly making my way through "Surprised by the power of the Holy Spirit" by Jack Deere, which is a book that argues in favor of the miraculous happening today in Christianity. That and US weekly, in which I was happy to learn in the most recent edition, that just like US, James Woods scratches his nose while he walks. Who knew?

Who are we meeting? Jamaicans. Lots of em. 6 Jamaican women who are working at a nearby hotel moved into our condo complex. Their accent is like music. We're going to invite them and a lot of other "orphan away from home friends" over to our place for Thanksgiving, as we enjoy our FIRST Thanksgiving as a married couple. Our goal is to represent at least 15 countries around the dinner table ~ Call it, "Brent and Kat's United Nations Thanksgiving."

What else? Tired... Very Tired... Better sign off before I embarrass myself anymore! Still reading? Very dedicated! Leave a comment so we know you care. Ciao!

4 comments:

Jen said...

Dear Mr. and Mrs. Darcy,

I hope the Jamaicans gladly accept your invitation to United Nations Thanksgiving as well as any other such events featuring charitable love. Please be proper nerds at the turkey table and read to them from your latest finds, or turn on PBS so that they can get a glimpse of real American life :)

You two are one of a kind. I love it.

Anonymous said...

You'll be glad to know they DID accept, and will grace our table with authentic Jamaican rice!

I'm almost certain we'll be nerds. I don't know about Thanksgiving day, but PBS is playing "Walking the Bible" the day before (http://www.pbs.org/walkingthebible/). Looks interesting. :)

Jen said...

"I'm almost certain we'll be nerds." Sounds like a life statement if I ever heard one. Of course, the fact that you already know PBS' schedule more than a week ahead doesn't help.

Lest anyone think I'm casting the first stone, it's worth noting that I was completely distracted in church this morning by the following typo in our projected song lyrics: trees',! I beg you, what is that plural possessive possessing? The comma? Sheesh. Granted, those trees are supposed to be plural possessive in the original song, so that errant comma is the only problem, but still. How anyone could recognize the apostrophe is necessary and fail to recognize that the comma is not eludes me.

Anonymous said...

I loved reading all of that to know what ya'll are up to. Wish we could join you for your UN feast. My parents always had "foreign orphans" over for Thanksgiving or Christmas and I think it is an important tradition to start and such a blessing to those that don't know our holidays and might be thousands of miles away from family!