Saturday, November 25, 2006

Great cause to give thanks!

Kat and I have officially declared this to be our first successful Thanksgiving as husband and wife. The food was great, the time with friends old and new was sweet, and the leftovers... Mmmmm... the leftovers just keep GOOOOOING and GOOOOOING!

First, I played in our church's annual Turkey Bowl football game on Thanksgiving morning

2006-11-23 TurkeyBowl (3)

There's a couple of young, fit guys like my buddy Brenton who play, but the majority are old and creaky like me. The opposing team won by a score, we think, though I think there were definitely some plays that probably would have gone the other way if we had video review. Special moment for me had to be watching a teenager tackle our youth pastor (in a flag game) and the youth pastor then reaching over and tripping up the teen so he fell flat on his face. Ahh, the holidays!

Back home, Kat's preparations for the big day were in FULL SWING.

2006-11-23 THX (2)

We loaded up the center room with a really nice setup, though I have to say that an extra room for post-dinner relaxing might have been nice. But condo-dwellers can't be picky on these sorts of things. It looked GREAT!

Dinner was set for 2:30. The food was exquisitely prepared and ready right on time, our friend Khoulud had arrived with a homemade Pumpkin pie... and the Jamaicans showed up unapologetically at 3:30. Island time, they tell me, runs a wee bit SLOOOOOWER than you or I might think. I knocked on their door (This is a group of Jamaican domestic workers who are over here on an exchange program and working for a nearby hotel. They live in our complex) at 2:45, and they still had curlers in their hair and stuff...

But, the food was still hot and our appetites were DEFINITELY hot by then, and we had a really lovely dinner.

2006-11-23 THX (6)

Stuffed! That's all I can really say about the day. We had two shifts of folks come through, because some of the ladies had to work, and I was obliged to eat with both. It was quite a nice thing to clean everything up and get back to normal that night. Glad that the memories (and the leftover Turkey) will stay with us for quite awhile!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

THAT IS TOTALLY MY KIND OF HOLIDAY !!!!!!

Anonymous said...

ME JANELLE I DON'T "BLOG" CAN YOU TELL ?