Thursday, February 07, 2008

Only an hour forty five... Not that bad


Quick Story
I had a conversation yesterday evening with an nice, middle-aged woman at the 10-minute oil change place. We were chatting, as people do at such venues, while we waited for our cars to be finished.
She was exclaiming about the merits of this place, and how convenient it was for her to stop by it on her commute home. Always interested in marketing tactics, I asked her how she heard of it and started coming here.
She went on to explain how, but the REALLY interesting thing was the length of her commute and her description of it. You see, she went on to tell me that her commute is an hour and fourty-five minutes... each way! But, she advised me, "It's really not all that bad..."
She went on to justify her decision based on the priviledge of owning a home, quality of life, etc. I just smiled and nodded, but inside, this voice in my head was saying, "Lady, you are spending 3.5 hours of every day on the road, on top of at least 9 hours a day in an office far from home. That's CRAZY!"
Maybe I'm just too small-townish, but God help me if I ever tell someone in an oil change place someday, "Only an hour forty five... Not that bad..."

3 comments:

Micah said...

hmmm. that would make me want to consider the merits of commuting by air. not that it's cheap, necessarily, but it's quite possible she could go from home to work by air in under 45 minutes, give or take her proximity to airports at home and office. that makes me wonder about the validity of real air taxi service for commuters. given the high cost of auto fuel and maintenance with the savings in time, i wonder if such a thing is present in San Diego already or if it isn't a viable alternative to what's available.

Mike B. said...

Completely agree - I don't understand people who can spend that much time in their cars... think of all that unnecessary pollution too!

Micah said...

and light rail!! oh the madness of the commute!