Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Dilemmas and Distractions

Psst...Brent is thinking about shutting down the blog. Seems our readership is down, and Blogger's Guilt really isn't fun, especially because blogging should be a leisure activity in the first place. If you'd like to see it continue, please post a comment. Thanks! :) That's my shameless plug.

And now for a different kind of plug. I am curious whether anyone has ideas about how to maintain politeness while avoiding distractions in the office. I'm in a big room with 5-6 other people, and I really need focused time to write my code. Lately I have resorted to blasting classical music through earplugs (yes, that's right: I wear silicone earplugs and put the headphones over them). For a while I was doing that without playing the music, because I found that people would still talk to me if I had just the earplugs in, since they couldn't see them. The earphones also keep me warm, an added bonus. My most recent problem is that when people talk to me, I have to surreptitiously remove the hot pink earplug at the same time as the earphones. Usually that's easy, but yesterday one of them got stuck in my hair, and the whole thing was just really awkward. So I thought about those industrial style earmuffs, but sheesh, they're huge. Any thoughts?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

keep it going. we aren't good at posting on ours either, but it is better to have than not! plus, why stop when kat is just now starting to post!

Anonymous said...

Please keep the blog going. It's the only way I get to hear from you! ;-)

Anonymous said...

As for distractions, if a person comes up to you and begins talking, let them know that you're interested in hearing the rest of the story the next time you take a break. "However, I really need to get this finished first."

This only works if you do 2 things...1) actually take a break and 2) remember to ask said person to finish the story. (Usually they won't remember what they were saying, so it's a wash.) People will start to get the hint if you're consistent about it.

Brent said...

Good tips - Ok, I am starting to come around... Thanks for the encouragement

Anonymous said...

Hi Brent and Kathryn. Please keep the blog going. I can keep up with you that way since you are so far away.

Micah said...

the blog must go on!

Micah said...

as for quietness, you can't beat the environment created by these, provided they aren't pulled from your head

Anonymous said...

I can relate w/ blogger guilt - I haven't posted on mine since the end of September! However, I personally like checking in on you and Kat, so if you're able to update now and then (even once a month), I'd say do it!!! No pressure of course though - I certainly can't talk!
BTW, we just got a new computer at home, so I'm hoping I'll start updating our blog again soon!
Take care!
Megan

Jen said...

I say keep at the blog too. Especially as it is now giving that geek Kathryn something to do when she's not humming herself into busyness behind her earplugs.

But seriously: way to go, friend! Creative problem solving, just like your liberal arts education taught you.

Here's another recommendation, though: feign interest. Like when they're wanting to talk with you, just go "uh huh, uh huh, uh huh" in a super excited way and at all the inappropriate moments. Then they'll catch on that you're a very genuine person.