Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Knowledge is Power


I don't claim to be a real fix-it kind of guy...
Never have...
But a recent experience with my somewhat less than trusty '99 Camry Solara got me thinking. Here's how it went down.
1. Driving to work and notice check engine light is on. Panic, as I have no way of knowing if the car is going to konk out at any moment.
2. Knowledge Power #1 - Coworker tells me that AutoZone will lend you the tool to read the code for free.
3. Knowledge Power #2 - Autozone helpfully reads code and then recommends 300 O2 sensor to replace. Grudgingly, I pay the money.
4. Knowledge Power #3 - Come home and after a few minutes of internet searching, discover instructions for how to replace the sensor and an online site where it can be ordered for less than half.
5. Take part back to AutoZone.
************
Cars have traditionally been one of those things where knowledge, held by the few, has been used to exploit the many. I love seeing what the information age has done to blow this whole thing up! Knowledge is POWER! Now, if I just knew someone who could help me change this part...
Brent

2 comments:

Micah said...

it's nice to not have to pay $125 just to know what's wrong. how's the replacement coming along

Micah said...

I've been thinking about this business model, especially since you told me they asked you to pay $42 for the scan even though you already knew what you needed (I think I got that right).

Obviously it's better for cars to have technology that uses computers to make them more efficient. One of the obvious drawbacks is that you can no longer simply look at a car and tell exactly what is wrong with it. In fact, when you pay for a scan on your car's components you are paying for the ignorance/education of the mechanic, since he has no other way to determine the problem with your car. This increase in car technology has many benefits, but the cost burden must fall to somebody. I suppose the most efficient manner is the charge associated with the scanning, since it does not take a scan to replace warped brake rotors or a bad carburetor and these prices should not be affected. So what seems to arise naturally is a cost attached specifically to this technology and its repair. I suppose there's nothing appreciably wrong with this, but it does seem to be exposed just a little when you already know what is wrong but the mechanic (who is just doing his job correctly) has to scan the car to find out what is wrong (because he has no other mechanism) and, in agreement with you, decides to charge you $42 for his lack of knowledge.

[If that summary is totally wrong, give me a day or two before bursting my bubble.]