Wednesday, February 14, 2007

A Woolly-Bully Time

This past weekend, Kat and I went opposite ways - She to the (presumable) warmth of the South (Texas, Arkansas) and I to the cold and snow of Mammoth Mountain. Fortunately for me, we had plenty of snow and not too much cold up in Mammoth. Unfortunately for Kat, it was just about as cold in Texas and Arkansas as in Mammoth.

Anyways, I went skiing with my buddies from work on Friday-Sunday.
2007-02-09 Mammoth (1)
Mammoth got on the order of 2-3 feet of snow while we were up there, which it SORELY needed.
2007-02-09 Mammoth (3)

Now, I know that scenes like this are all too familiar for most of the country right about now, but for us out in California, it is definitely amazing! The snow made for some fun challenges on the mountain, though unfortunately we weren't able to ski off the peak runs at Mammoth ~ Fog and high winds kept it socked in.

The best moment on the trip was when the four of us, 20-something guys, all wearing jeans and boots and stuff, walked into what we thought was a modest-priced Thai restaurant. We walked up the stairs and into the restaurant, and I thought to myself, "Man, this is really nice?" but my brain was on autopilot, so I wasn't thinking too hard. The place had just a few tables occupied, but the girl took one quick look at us and said, "Uh, we don't have any tables free" - Turns out the cheap Thai place was downstairs. The snooty expensive place is upstairs. I had this flash of the scene in Pretty Woman when Julia Roberts walks into the expensive store and the girl immediately says, "We don't have what you are looking for..."

My 10 dollar Thai food downstairs never tasted better. Guess in this world there's top shelf and all the rest... Me? I'm all the rest - :-)

3 comments:

Jen said...

Ah, getting turned away from restaurants just because you look less than fancy. Welcome to the club. Kathryn and I know all about that!

Brent said...

So I have heard... I guess it all ties into those natty feet again, right?

Jen said...

Yes, for better or worse, Kathryn and I are something like C2C junkies: everything circles back to England. Six degrees of separation, or something like that.